Chennai

FMSCI cancels license of racer Vikas Anand after horrific accident

The decision means that Vikas would not be able to drive in the 'Mazda Road to Indy' championships in the US.

Express News Service

CHENNAI: Trouble is piling up for Vikas Anand, the racer involved in a horrific accident early on Monday. The racer, currently in judicial custody, has had his competitive license suspended by the Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI) - governing body of the sport in the country.

The FMSCI, well aware of the taint that may happen from a national racing champion being involved in an accident, was quick to act. "His competitive license has been suspended. Usually when we suspend the license, it's for a definite period of time, either one week or one month. But in Vikas' case, we have suspended it indefinitely. When the police have completed an investigation into the incident, we will review our decision and see what has to be done from there," FMSCI president Zayn Khan told Express.

"We at FMSCI take a very strong stand against negligent driving," Khan said. "We are fully compliant of FIA's road safety regulations and part of our job here is to create responsible drivers," he added.

The decision means that Vikas would not be able to drive in the 'Mazda Road to Indy' championships in the US, a chance he had earned by winning the MRF F1600 category of the National Racing Championships, earlier in August.

Twisha Sharma death case: Bhopal Police announce Rs 10,000 reward for info on absconding husband

India to continue Russian oil imports regardless of US sanctions waiver status, says official

US Justice Department drops all charges against Adani, case closed permanently

Bengal govt to end aid for religion-based groups; 'Annapurna' scheme, free bus travel to benefit women

Sunetra Pawar likely to initiate NCP merger talks amid speculation over party reunification

SCROLL FOR NEXT