British Foreign Minister Jeremy Hunt (File | AP) 
India

Ahead of EU talks, UK calls for reduced tensions with Iran

Washington has pulled out of the deal, to the dismay of its European allies who also signed the accord.

From our online archive

LONDON: British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said Monday that Iran's actions were "profoundly destabilising" but said he wanted to reduce tensions in the Middle East, ahead of talks with his EU counterparts.

"Heading to Brussels for urgent talks on how to reduce tensions with Iran," Hunt tweeted. "Their approach to the Mid East has been profoundly destabilising but we want to reduce not raise tensions over Grace 1 and avoid a nuclearised region.

"But a deal is a deal and if one side breaches it." European Union foreign ministers are meeting to discuss the 2015 deal over Iran's nuclear programme, as tensions further intensify between Tehran and the United States.

Washington has pulled out of the deal, to the dismay of its European allies who also signed the accord.

Angered that its beleaguered economy is not receiving the sanctions relief it believes was promised under the deal, Iran has intensified its sensitive uranium enrichment work, prompting warnings from Washington.

Britain was drawn into the row when officials in its tiny territory of Gibraltar seized an Iranian oil tanker, "Grace One", earlier this month.

US officials believe the tanker was destined for Syria to deliver oil, in violation of sanctions, but Tehran reacted with anger.

In a phone call with Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif on Saturday, Hunt said the tanker would be released following guarantees on its destination.

Petrol, diesel prices raised again; fuel rates up 90 paise per litre

West Bengal govt sanctions prosecution of former RG Kar principal Sandip Ghosh in financial irregularities case

Teenage gunmen open fire on San Diego mosque, killing three men; both supects dead

ED writes to chief secretary, seeks nod to prosecute former TN minister Senthil Balaji in cash-for-job scam case

Free travel will finish industry, say private bus operators

SCROLL FOR NEXT