Protesters pelt stones as they clashed with police during the ongoing anti-quota protest in Dhaka on July 19, 2024.  
India

360 more Indians, Nepalese enter Meghalaya from violence-hit Bangladesh

A senior home department official said that 363 people reached Meghalaya through the Dawki Integrated Check Post on Friday.

PTI

SHILLONG: Over 360 more citizens of India, Nepal and Bhutan crossed over to Meghalaya from violence-affected Bangladesh, taking the total number of people taking refuge in the state to over 670, officials said.

A senior home department official said that 363 people reached Meghalaya through the Dawki Integrated Check Post on Friday.

Of them, 204 are Indians, 158 are Nepalese and one person is from Bhutan.

So far, 80 residents of Meghalaya, mostly students, have crossed over to the state.

Out of the 80 people, 13 entered their home state on Friday.

The Meghalaya government has activated a helpline number, 1800-345-3644, for the state's citizens in Bangladesh to help them because of the violence in the neighbouring country.

Violence escalated in the Bangladesh capital Dhaka and elsewhere over student protests demanding reforms of the quota system for government jobs.

There were varying reports of the number of people killed on Friday.

The protesters are demanding an end to a quota system that reserves up to 30 per cent of government jobs for relatives of veterans who fought in Bangladesh's war of independence in 1971 against Pakistan.

Trump says he's called off Iran strike planned for Tuesday at request of Gulf allies

Twisha Sharma death case: Bhopal Police announce Rs 10,000 reward for info on absconding husband

US Justice Department drops all charges against Adani, case closed permanently

Bengal govt to end aid for religion-based groups; 'Annapurna' scheme, free bus travel to benefit women

Sunetra Pawar likely to initiate NCP merger talks amid speculation over party reunification

SCROLL FOR NEXT