Residents gather near charred cars and buildings, at the site of Wednesday's Israeli airstrike, in Beirut, Lebanon, Friday, April 10, 2026. (Photo | AP)
India

India expresses 'deep concern' over civilian casualties in Lebanon

The statement from New Delhi came as Israeli strikes on Lebanon intensified, raising fresh doubts about the stability of the already fragile US-Iran ceasefire.

TNIE online desk

India on Friday expressed “deep concern” over reports of rising civilian casualties in Lebanon.

The statement from New Delhi came as Israeli strikes on Lebanon intensified, raising fresh doubts about the stability of the already fragile US-Iran ceasefire.

Tehran has insisted that Lebanon is included in the agreement, a claim rejected by both the United States and Israel.

At least 300 people were killed in Israeli air strikes on Lebanon on Wednesday, according to Lebanese authorities.

"We are deeply concerned by reports of a large number of civilian casualties in Lebanon," external affairs ministry spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said at a media briefing.

"As a troop contributing country to the UNIFIL (UN Interim Force in Lebanon) that is invested in Lebanon's peace and security, the direction of events is very disturbing," he said.

"India has always emphasised the protection of civilians as the foremost priority. Observing international law, and respecting sovereignty and territorial integrity of states is essential," he added.

Jaiswal further said India continued to reach out to the countries in the Gulf region and referred to the ongoing visit of Petroleum Minister Hardeep Singh Puri to Qatar.

He also noted the upcoming visit of External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar to the United Arab Emirates that is expected to focus on exchanging views on the West Asia conflict.

India on Thursday had welcomed the two-week ceasefire between the US and Iran and called for unimpeded freedom of navigation and flow of commerce through the Strait of Hormuz while hoping that lasting peace will return to West Asia.

On the precarious security situation in Lebanon, Jaiswal said Indian embassy there remained in close touch with the Indian community for its safety and security.

Earlier this month, India condemned the deadly attacks on UN peacekeepers in southern Lebanon and called for the "inviolability" of the mission.

The reaction had come following the deaths of two Indonesian 'Blue Helmets' that had sparked global concerns over the safety of UN peacekeepers in the conflict zone.

The fatalities occurred against the backdrop of a sharp escalation in cross-border violence between the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) and Hezbollah.

(With inputs from PTI)

Suspect dead after approaching White House checkpoint with weapon: US secret service

Rubio meets PM Modi in Delhi, calls India ‘cornerstone’ of Indo-Pacific strategy, shares White House invite

SC takes suo motu cognisance of Twisha Sharma dowry death case, hearing on Monday

Iran and US are close to an understanding aimed at ending the war, officials say

War as profitable politics and elusive peace

SCROLL FOR NEXT