The Supreme Court of India (File photo | ANI)
Nation

‘Russian woman may have left India with kid’

The two-judge Bench of Justices Surya Kant and Joymalya Bagchi called the situation “unacceptable” and observed that it was “gross contempt of court”.

Suchitra Kalyan Mohanty

NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court on Monday expressed its displeasure at the Centre’s submission in a case that the Russian woman fighting with her estranged Indian husband for their child’s custody has gone missing and probably went back to Russia.

The two-judge Bench of Justices Surya Kant and Joymalya Bagchi called the situation “unacceptable” and observed that it was “gross contempt of court”. The Bench said in its order on Monday: “Her passport is seized. How could she get a duplicate passport? It could not have been possible without the help of some officials at the Russian Embassy. It is a gross contempt of court. It is totally unacceptable. We will be passing some harsh orders and direct for issuing a Red Corner Notice.”

The Centre’s submission that the woman had left India came as a surprise, as it had previously told the SC that she had not left the country, at least through legal means.

All hype & no competition: India beat Pakistan, seal Super 8s berth in style

AI Summit: India's chance to push clean innovation

ECI suspends seven WB officials; directs Chief Secretary to initiate disciplinary action

INTERVIEW | Budget shunned short-term populism, reflects yearning to be developed nation: PM Modi

NC, PDP slam J&K BJP MP for spending 94% allocated funds in UP

SCROLL FOR NEXT