Members of the affected families at the grievance cell meeting on Monday  Photo| express
Odisha

Eight families face social boycott over inter-caste marriages

The Odisha government has come up with a new scheme under which a financial assistance of Rs 2.5 lakh is extended to eligible newlywed couples who break the caste barriers.

Express News Service

BERHAMPUR: In a disturbing case of alleged caste-based discrimination, eight families in Padmapur area of Rayagada district have reportedly been socially boycotted after their children married outside their caste even as government has mounted efforts to promote social integration.

The Odisha government has come up with a new scheme under which a financial assistance of Rs 2.5 lakh is extended to eligible newlywed couples who break the caste barriers.

However, in Padampur, affected families allege that sections of the local Tailika community declared them outcasts for allowing inter-caste marriages within their households. According to the families, they have been barred from participating in social gatherings, village feasts and family ceremonies for the past several days.

Community members were also allegedly warned against maintaining any form of relationship or communication with them. The victims claimed that the social, mental and economic harassment has created fear and insecurity.

While several families reportedly remained silent fearing further restrictions, eight families have now approached the administration seeking justice. On Monday, members of the affected families submitted a memorandum to additional district magistrate Naveen Chandra Nayak during the grievance cell meeting at Gudari block. They sought protection and demanded action to ensure they could live with dignity.

Meanwhile, Padmapur Block Tailika Vaishya Samaj president Saura Sahu defended the community’s move, stating that the decision was taken in accordance with traditional norms after consultations with office bearers and members of the organisation. He also claimed that the federation had given its consent for the action.

The district administration took note of the complaint but remained guarded in its action. Gunupur sub-collector Dudhal Abhishek Dillip said the complaint was being treated seriously and an investigation had already begun.

“The administration has initiated an investigation based on the complaint. Both parties will soon be called for discussions and efforts will be made to reach a peaceful resolution,” he said.

Petrol, diesel prices raised again; fuel rates up 90 paise per litre

West Bengal govt sanctions prosecution of former RG Kar principal Sandip Ghosh in financial irregularities case

Teenage gunmen open fire on San Diego mosque, killing three men; both supects dead

ED writes to chief secretary, seeks nod to prosecute former TN minister Senthil Balaji in cash-for-job scam case

Free travel will finish industry, say private bus operators

SCROLL FOR NEXT