Ishrat, who was divorced over the phone by her husband from Dubai in 2014 after he uttered 'talaq' thrice, was one of the petitioners in the triple talaq case. (ANI) 
India

It is a welcome step: Petitioner Ishrat Jahan on Union cabinet's decision on triple talaq

Jahan moved court after she was divorced by her husband over phone from Dubai by uttering 'talaq' thrice consecutively in 2014.

From our online archive

KOLKATA: Ishrat Jahan, a petitioner in the triple talaq case, Wednesday welcomed the union cabinet's decision to bring an ordinance to make the practice a penal offence.

It is a big step towards "empowering Muslim women" in the country, she said. Muslim men and religious leaders should now mend "their ways or be ready to face the music", she said.

"I welcome the Centre's decision to bring an ordinance to make triple talaq a penal offence. It is a huge step towards empowering Muslim women in the country," Jahan told PTI.

She is one of the five petitioners in the case against instant triple talaq. The practice of instant triple talaq was struck down by the Supreme Court on August 22 last year.

Jahan moved court after she was divorced by her husband over phone from Dubai by uttering 'talaq' thrice consecutively in 2014. She has a 13-year-old daughter and a seven-year-old son.

After Rahul's Pune outreach, Smriti Irani dares him to back 33% women’s quota, sing full Vande Mataram

JeM's base in Pakistan's Bahawalpur rebuilt 15 months after Operation Sindoor: Intel inputs

CJP to review Centre's assurances against exam irregularities on August 24, says options for fresh stir still open

FIRs filed against 28 named, 900 unnamed people over police-students clash in Giridih, Hazaribag

Industrialist Gautam Adani meets Karnataka CM DKS; BJP flays Congress on its 'double standard'

SCROLL FOR NEXT