Monaco striker Pietro Pellegri | AFP 
Football

Monaco starlet Pietro Pellegri sidelined by hernia surgery

Sixteen-year-old Monaco striker Pietro Pellegri will undergo a hernia operation that will keep him out for six weeks.

From our online archive

MONACO: Sixteen-year-old Monaco striker Pietro Pellegri, the club's youngest ever player, will undergo a hernia operation that will keep him out for six weeks, the reigning French champions said on Monday.

Italian Pellegri, who joined Monaco in January from Genoa for 20 million euros ($25 million), last month eclipsed Kylian Mbappe's record as the club's youngest player in history.

He was introduced as a late substitute in a 4-0 rout of Dijon at just 16 years, 10 months and 30 days, beating the record held by Mbappe who was 16 years, 11 months and 13 days old when he made his debut for the club in December 2015.

Italy youth international Pellegri, while at Genoa, had also been the youngest player to feature in Serie A and the first player born in the 21st century to play in the Italian championship.

All hype & no competition: India beat Pakistan, seal Super 8s berth in style

LS Speaker Om Birla to represent India at Tarique Rahman's oath ceremony in Bangladesh

INTERVIEW | Budget shunned short-term populism, reflects yearning to be developed nation: PM Modi

Amid rising crime in BJP-ruled Uttarakhand, Congress condemns 'hooliganism in Hanuman's name'

Mani Shankar Aiyar says Pinarayi Vijayan will continue as Kerala CM; Congress distances itself from remarks

SCROLL FOR NEXT