Madras High Court (File Photo | ANI)
Tamil Nadu

Madras HC seeks GCC's reply on fund misuse in bridge work

Though Rs 20 lakh each was allocated for land acquisition and lighting arrangements, no actual land acquisition was carried out, as only six houses were relocated, the petition said.

Express News Service

CHENNAI: The Madras High Court has sought reply from the Greater Chennai Corporation (GCC) on a petition seeking inquiry into “misappropriation of funds” in the construction of a minor bridge connecting Aspiran Garden Second Street and Kilpauk Garden Road across the Otteri Nullah in Chennai.

A vacation bench of justices GR Swaminathan and V Lakshminarayanan issued notice to the GCC when the petition filed by Prabhakaran of Choolaimedu came up for hearing. The bench directed the GCC to file the reply in a week.

The petitioner alleged public funds were utilised in an improper way by the civic body. Though Rs 20 lakh each was allocated for land acquisition and lighting arrangements, no actual land acquisition was carried out, as only six houses were relocated. He further said Rs 20.25 lakh was allocated under the head of shifting charges and Rs 31.96 lakh under “unforeseen items”.

Stating that he has obtained the information through RTI Act queries, the petitioner said the materials prima facie disclose cognisable acts of corruption, abuse of official position and diversion of public funds attracting provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988 and others.

A representation was sent to the DVAC on April 8, 2026, seeking a probe, he said.

Noting that one of the officials concerned had already retired and another one is due for retirement, he said unless immediate inquiry is not taken, there is likelihood of the officials evading accountability.

Petrol price hiked by 87 paise, diesel by 91 paise in third price rise within 10 days

US mulls new strikes on Iran: Media reports

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrives in Kolkata as part of four-day India tour

New three-language rule leaves Kerala CBSE students in distress

Eight dead, dozens trapped in China coal mine blast

SCROLL FOR NEXT