International hospitality chain Marriott (Photo | AFP) 
World

Marriott says up to 500 million hotel guests affected by database hack

Marriott said it was alerted on September 8 that there had been an attempt to hack their reservation database in the United States.

From our online archive

WASHINGTON: Marriott International said Friday that up to 500 million hotel guests may have had their data compromised in a hack of the Starwood reservation database.

Marriott said it was alerted on September 8 that there had been an attempt to hack their reservation database in the United States.

The company launched a probe, and discovered "that there had been unauthorised access to the Starwood network since 2014".

They discovered "that an unauthorized party had copied and encrypted information, and took steps towards removing it".

On November 19 Marriott "was able to decrypt the information and determined that the contents were from the Starwood guest reservation database".

Hotels in the Starwood network include Sheraton, Four Points by Sheraton and W Hotels.

"We deeply regret this incident happened," said Arne Sorenson, Marriott's President and Chief Executive Officer.

"We fell short of what our guests deserve and what we expect of ourselves."

22 Indian seafarers reportedly safe after two vessels hijacked off Somalia, Gulf of Aden, says centre

Centre asks states to step up surveillance as H1N1 cases surge in Delhi, adjoining areas

Delhi Police files FIR over youth's pellet injuries from July 20 protest after Rahul Gandhi's dharna

Several detained as anti-reservation protesters gather at Jantar Mantar despite no police nod

JMM workers clash with protesting students in Ranchi, flee with Hemant Soren’s effigy

SCROLL FOR NEXT