Hugo Clément being arrested in Australia. (Photo | Hugo Clément, Facebook) 
World

Australia drops charges against French journalists for filming protests against Adani project

Arrests of the French journalists had fuelled concerns about press freedom in Australia after a spate of police raids targeting reporters.

From our online archive

SYDNEY: Australian police have dropped charges against a French television crew arrested filming a protest against a newly approved Indian-owned coal mine this week.

France 2 reporter Hugo Clement and three members of his film crew were arrested at Monday's demonstration against the Adani project in central Queensland state and charged with trespassing.

Clement said on Twitter on Thursday that he had been informed by the French Embassy in Australia that the "unfair" charges had been dropped.

He thanked Australians for offering their support in the days since the charges were laid.

The arrests had fuelled concerns about press freedom in Australia after a spate of police raids targeting reporters.

Construction of the Adani project near the Great Barrier Reef has been under fierce debate for almost a decade, with environmentalists warning that fossil fuels damage the climate.

Last month, authorities approved the construction of the open-cut mine, which is slated to produce up to 27 million tonnes of coal a year.

Conservationists say the project threatens local vulnerable species and means coal will have to be shipped from a port near the World Heritage-listed Great Barrier Reef.

Supporters say it will bring hundreds of much-needed jobs to rural Queensland.

Satheesan defies Kharge as portfolio row dampens UDF victory euphoria

Mahoba horror: NEET aspirant abducted, tortured, gang-raped in captivity for 16 days

Putin, Xi Jinping hail 'unyielding' ties in talks after Trump visit

US lost 42 aircraft, including fighter jets, MQ-9 Reaper drones in Iran war, says report

DRDO completes final trials of drone launched missile for tanks, aerial targets

SCROLL FOR NEXT