Image used for representation purposes only. (File Photo | PTI)
Delhi

Connaught Place assault victim’s father calls for probe into friend’s role

Anil Kumar Gupta, father of the deceased, demanded an investigation into the role of his son’s friend, alleging that he was present throughout the incident and repeatedly misled the family.

Express News Service

NEW DELHI: The father of 36-year-old businessman Shivam Gupta, who was allegedly assaulted by three delivery boys with a helmet in Connaught Place last month and later died, has demanded an investigation into the role of his son’s friend, alleging that he was present throughout the incident and repeatedly misled the family.

Anil Kumar Gupta, father of the deceased, told media that his son had gone out with his friend Pankaj on January 2. “They had a party, but I had no knowledge of where they went or who took them there. I only found out when I saw the CCTV footage. When I asked Pankaj how he knew, he said the police had called him. How would the police get Pankaj’s number?” Anil said. In the footage, Pankaj is clearly seen with Shivam.

“He kept misleading me. He knew everything about the attack. The footage showed that Pankaj was with him. Every time he met someone, he gave different statements to everyone,” the father added. The incident took place on the intervening night of January 2–3. Shivam had gone to Connaught Place with a friend. An altercation reportedly broke out between him and some delivery boys near E-Block, during which he was attacked with a helmet.

All hype & no competition: India beat Pakistan, seal Super 8s berth in style

LS Speaker Om Birla to represent India at Tarique Rahman's oath ceremony in Bangladesh

INTERVIEW | Budget shunned short-term populism, reflects yearning to be developed nation: PM Modi

Amid rising crime in BJP-ruled Uttarakhand, Congress condemns 'hooliganism in Hanuman's name'

Mani Shankar Aiyar says Pinarayi Vijayan will continue as Kerala CM; Congress distances itself from remarks

SCROLL FOR NEXT