Uttarakhand CM Pushkar Singh Dhami (File photo | PTI) 
India

Probe ordered into Dalit cook's 'sacking' after upper cast students refused to eat meal

Dhami asked Kumaon DIG Nilesh Anand Bharne to conduct a probe into the incident after visiting the school at Sukhidhang and take stern action against the guilty.

PTI

DEHRADUN: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami on Friday ordered a probe into the alleged sacking of a Dalit woman cook at a government school in Champawat after some upper cast students refused to eat the meal cooked by her.

Dhami asked Kumaon DIG Nilesh Anand Bharne to conduct a probe into the incident after visiting the school at Sukhidhang and take stern action against the guilty.

Bharne has also been asked to keep tabs on those spreading rumours about the incident, an official release here said.

A day after the her appointment of the "Bhojanmata" earlier this month, upper caste students had stopped eating the meal cooked by her because of her caste and began bringing their food from home in tiffin boxes.

Even parents of the students had objected to her appointment. Officials had earlier said her appointment had been cancelled as it was found that the norms had not been followed in this regard.

Iran says US wants to 'start new war' after Trump threat

Xi and Putin oppose US-Israel war on Iran, warn Strait of Hormuz disruption poses threat to global trade

Congress ends 59-year wait, to join Vijay-led TN Cabinet on Thursday

Bhopal court rejects second autopsy plea in Twisha Sharma death case

25 states allocate funds as Centre prepares to launch VB-G RAM G from July 1

SCROLL FOR NEXT