Maharashtra Minister Nawab Malik. (File Photo| ANI) 
India

Malik sent to ED custody till March 3 in money laundering case

The cabinet minister's statement was recorded under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act and he was arrested under the same provisions as he was evasive in his replies, ED officials said.

PTI

MUMBAI: After a court here remanded Maharashtra minister Nawab Malik in the ED custody following his arrest in a money laundering probe on Wednesday, he was brought to the central agency's office in south Mumbai, where he will have to spend the night, an official said.

A special court remanded the state Minority Affairs Minister to the custody of the Enforcement Directorate (ED) till March 3 in a money laundering probe linked to the activities of fugitive gangster Dawood Ibrahim and his aides.

Malik was arrested earlier in the day after being questioned for about five hours at the ED office in south Mumbai's Ballard Estate area since around 8 am.

The 62-year-old NCP leader was produced before special Judge R N Rokade, who remanded him in the ED custody for further probe into the matter.

"After the court hearing, Malik was brought to the ED office in Ballard Estate around 9 pm. The minister will have to spent this night at the ED office," the official said.

The senior NCP leader was brought to the central agency's office amid tight security of the CRPF personnel, he said.

While getting down from the vehicle at night, Malik once again waved at media persons, just like he had done in the afternoon after stepping out of the ED office after his questioning.

Petrol, diesel prices raised again; fuel rates up 90 paise per litre

Cash discovery row: Report on allegations against Justice Varma submited to Om Birla; to be tabled in Parliament

West Bengal govt sanctions prosecution of former RG Kar principal Sandip Ghosh in financial irregularities case

'Did KCR resign?': BJP defends Minister Bandi Sanjay Kumar amid demands for his removal over son's POCSO case

ED writes to chief secretary, seeks nod to prosecute former TN minister Senthil Balaji in cash-for-job scam case

SCROLL FOR NEXT