The inaugural Grand Prix of India took place at the Buddh International Circuit in 2023 (File Photo | PTI) 
Sport

Indian MotoGP cancelled and replaced by Kazakhstan MotoGP

The sport will return to Buddh International Circuit in March 2025,motorcyling event organisers Dorna said on Wednesday.

AFP

PARIS: The Indian MotoGP scheduled to take place in September has been cancelled and will be replaced by the Kazakhstan MotoGP, motorcyling event organisers Dorna said on Wednesday.

The race in India has been scrapped due to "operational considerations" but will return early in the 2025 season.

Kazakhstan's planned MotoGP next month was postponed because of devastating floods in the country but will now take place on September 20 to 22.

"Following advice from the Government of Uttar Pradesh as the state continues its long-term commitment to MotoGP, the sport will return to Buddh International Circuit in March 2025, when weather conditions are expected to be optimal for spectators and riders alike," Dorna said.

The Kazakhstan race had been due to take place at Almaty's Sokol International Racetrack from June 14-16 but unprecedented bad weather and flooding across Central Asia sparked a national emergency.

The first edition of the Indian Grand Prix in September 2023 resulted in difficulties for organisers with temperatures over 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit).

After the cancellation of the Argentine GP at the start of the season, the MotoGP calendar currently has 20 confirmed events -- six of which have already taken place.

Trump warns 'won't be anything left' of Iran unless it agrees to deal

Kerala CM-designate Satheesan announces 20-member cabinet; 14 new faces, allies accommodated

Indian worker among four killed in one of biggest Ukrainian drone attacks on Russia

Police inaction claims spark outrage in Rajasthan after Jodhpur sisters’ suicide in alleged gangrape case

Drone strikes UAE nuclear plant as US and Iran signal they are prepared to resume war

SCROLL FOR NEXT