MLA NH Konaraddi and Dharwad DC Divya Prabhu visit the protest site in Navalgund on Monday  PHOTO | D HEMANTH
Karnataka

Maize farmers in Karnataka call off hunger strike

Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Sunday assured him that the State government was committed to purchasing the farmers’ produce regardless of the Central government’s permission.

Express News Service

DHARWAD: The maize farmers in Navalgund on Monday withdrew their hunger strike demanding immediate opening of procurement centres for their produce after the district administration and local MLA NH Konaraddi convinced them that appropriate steps would be taken without further delay.

Konaraddi said Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Sunday assured him that the State government was committed to purchasing the farmers’ produce regardless of the Central government’s permission. He attributed the delay in opening the procurement centres to technical reasons.

Dharwad DC Divya Prabhu said Chief Secretary Shalani Rajneesh and other government officials concerned are aware of the farmers’ plight. “It will be resolved in a timely manner.,” she said.

Vijay condemns killing of three Tamil men in Karnataka forest firing, demands high-level probe

US envoy Kushner meets Hamas' leader in push for a Gaza road map before heading to see Netanyahu

‘Probably my last year’: Cristiano Ronaldo hints at retirement after 25-year career

JPSC-JSSC aspirants burn effigies of Soren, Rahul Gandhi, Tejashwi over exam row, threaten CM house siege

NTA to re-conduct UGC-NET English, Commerce, Sociology papers over errors, repeated questions

SCROLL FOR NEXT