MH 370. (Photo | AP) 
World

New report highlights Malaysian government shortcomings in MH370 mystery 

The report reiterated Malaysia's assertion the plane was deliberately diverted and flown for over seven hours after severing communications.

From our online archive

KUALA LUMPUR: An independent investigation report released today more than four years after Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 disappeared highlighted shortcomings in the government response that exacerbated the mystery.

The report reiterated Malaysia's assertion the plane was deliberately diverted and flown for over seven hours after severing communications.

It said the cause of the disappearance still cannot be determined and the "possibility of intervention by a third party cannot be excluded."

The plane carrying 239 people from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing vanished March 8, 2014, and is presumed to have crashed in the far southern Indian Ocean.

Family members of those onboard the plane said they were frustrated as there were many gaps in the investigations and questions left unanswered.

Scattered pieces of debris that washed ashore on African beaches and Indian Ocean islands indicated a distant remote stretch of the ocean where the plane likely crashed.

But a government search by Australia, Malaysia and China failed to pinpoint a location.

And a second, private search by U.S. company Ocean Infinity that finished earlier this year also found no sign of the wreckage. Officials said today's report is still not a final report since the plane hasn't been found.

Malaysia's government has said it is open to resuming searching if credible evidence of the plane's location emerges.

Criticising political switch 'not defamatory': Delhi HC tells Raghav Chadha in personality rights case

Air India plane suffers tail strike while landing in Bengaluru; all aboard safe

Petrol pumps in Punjab run dry, dealers seek immediate govt intervention to increase fuel supply

TN Cabinet expansion: Sengottaiyan moved to Revenue, Marie Wilson gets Finance, exclusive AI ministry

Calcutta HC orders setting up SIT of CBI to probe hushing-up charges in RG Kar rape-murder case

SCROLL FOR NEXT