Stranded fishermen hang on to a boat which lost control after cyclone Ockhi hit off Puthiyappa coast in Kozhikode on Friday. (A Sanesh | EPS) 
India

NCMC reviewing situation of cyclone Ockhi

NCMC has reviewed rescue and relief operations being carried out in high seas and coastal areas hit by cyclone Ockhi.

From our online archive

NEW DELHI: The National Crisis Management Committee, headed by Cabinet Secretary P K Sinha, has reviewed rescue and relief operations being carried out in high seas and coastal areas hit by cyclone Ockhi.

In a series of meetings, the NCMC took stock of the situation in Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka and Lakshadweep, an official spokesperson said today. The cyclone has ravaged large coastal areas there.

The NCMC is monitoring the situation and has provided all necessary help to the affected states and union territory, he said.

If necessary, additional help would be provided, the spokesperson said.

Apart from the cabinet secretary, representatives of the ministries of defence, home and earth sciences and the National Disaster Management Authority attended the meetings being held since yesterday.

The death toll in rain-related incidents in Kerala had risen to 19. More than 600 fishermen, stranded at sea off the Kerala coast, had been rescued, official sources said.

Naval ships, helicopters, Coast Guard vessels and Air Force planes are engaged in the rescue and relief operations and efforts are on to trace some 100 missing fishermen.

A meteorological department bulletin yesterday said cyclone Ockhi had moved further north-north-westwards at a speed of 12kmph and lay centred at about 440km west-north-west of Amindivi (Lakshadweep), 870km south-south-west of Mumbai and 1,070km south-south-west of Surat.

Trump warns 'won't be anything left' of Iran unless it agrees to deal

Kerala CM-designate Satheesan announces 20-member cabinet; 14 new faces, allies accommodated

Indian worker among four killed in one of biggest Ukrainian drone attacks on Russia

Police inaction claims spark outrage in Rajasthan after Jodhpur sisters’ suicide in alleged gangrape case

Drone strikes UAE nuclear plant as US and Iran signal they are prepared to resume war

SCROLL FOR NEXT