Villagers looking at their damaged house after heavy shelling by Pakistani forces at border village Jora Farm in R S Pura Sector. | PTI File Photo 
India

Government approves 14,460 bunkers for civilians hit by Pakistani firing along LoC: Hansraj Ahir

Amid the continuing firing from Pakistan, the government has approved construction of 14,460 bunkers for the protection of the people living in forward areas.

From our online archive

NEW DELHI: Amid the continuing firing from Pakistan, the government has approved construction of 14,460 bunkers for the protection of the people living in forward areas.

Union Minister of State for Home Hansraj Ahir said the home ministry recently approved a proposal for construction of 14,460 bunkers to mitigate the hardships of the people living along the International Border and the Line of Control due to cross-border firing.

"These include 1,431 large community bunkers and 13,029 individual bunkers in the districts of Samba, Jammu, Kathua, Poonch and Rajouri. The project is being implemented by the Jammu and Kashmir government," he told the Lok Sabha while replying to a written question.

Pakistani troops have been repetitively violating the ceasefire since the beginning of 2017.

At least four BSF personnel were killed in firing by Pakistan last month.

An Army Captain and three jawans were killed and at least four people injured on Sunday in heavy Pakistani shelling along the LoC in Poonch and Rajouri districts of Jammu and Kashmir.

India shares a 2,526.86-km-long border with Pakistan that includes 237.2 km of the Line of Control.

CPM to reconsider support if AIADMK joins TVK government: P Shanmugam

Jahangir Khan pulls out of race two days before Falta repoll, TMC left clueless

Twisha Sharma family seeks second post-mortem, CBI probe amid questions in death case

Delhi Court dismisses jailed activist Umar Khalid's bail plea to care for ailing mother

Russian President Vladimir Putin will visit New Delhi for BRICS summit on September 12,13: Kremlin aide

SCROLL FOR NEXT