Alt News co-founder Mohammad Zubair leaves in his car after being released from Tihar jail on July 20, 2022. (Photo | PTI) 
Nation

SC bail helps Alt News co-founder Zubair walk out of jail

The Supreme Court, earlier in the day, ordered the release of Zubair on interim bail, saying "exercise of the power of arrest must be pursued sparingly".

PTI

NEW DELHI: Alt News co-founder Mohammad Zubair was released from Tihar on Wednesday night, hours after being granted interim bail by the Supreme Court in all FIRs lodged in Uttar Pradesh against him for alleged hate speech, prison officials said on Wednesday.

Zubair was arrested by the Delhi Police on June 27 for allegedly hurting religious sentiments through his tweets.

Multiple FIRs were lodged against him in UP - two in Hathras and one each in Sitapur, Lakhimpur Kheri, Muzaffarnagar, Ghaziabad, and at Chandauli police station - on similar charges.

"Mohd Zubair has been released from Tihar," a senior official confirmed.

The Supreme Court, earlier in the day, ordered the release of Zubair on interim bail, saying "exercise of the power of arrest must be pursued sparingly" and transferred all the cases in UP to Delhi.

The court said "it finds no reason or justification for the deprivation of his liberty to persist any further" and ordered disbanding of the SIT, constituted by the UP police.

TN interim budget: Finance Minister slams Centre for delay of funds, denial of projects

Rs 900 crore Jal Jeevan Mission scam: ACB raids 15 locations across India, retired IAS officer questioned

PM Modi hails India AI Impact Expo 2026 as a powerful convergence of ideas and innovation

All those involved in misappropriating gold from Sabarimala should be caught: Jayaram

AI-enabled multilingual tool via mobile phones for farmers soon

SCROLL FOR NEXT