The latest initiative, dubbed Operation Demolishment, targets memorials and monuments allegedly erected by Naxal operatives and cadres to commemorate their leaders. (Photo | PTI)
Nation

Security forces raze over 200 Naxal memorials under Operation Demolishment

Officials in the security agencies said that so far a total of 203 such memorials and monuments have been demolished so far in Maharashtra and Chhattisgarh.

Mukesh Ranjan

NEW DELHI: India’s intensified campaign against Left-Wing Extremism (LWE) has entered a decisive new phase, with security forces expanding their footprints beyond armed cadres by dismantling symbols associated with Naxal ideology.

The latest initiative, dubbed Operation Demolishment, targets memorials and monuments allegedly erected by Naxal operatives and cadres to commemorate their leaders and propagate their ideology in their bid to entice people to join their ranks.

Officials in the security agencies said that so far a total of 203 such memorials and monuments have been demolished so far in Maharashtra and Chhattisgarh, two states long, which witnessed and suffered the most due to Naxal activities. The forces have reported that the drive gathered unprecedented momentum in 2026, as the bulk of the demolitions took place in that year.

In Chhattisgarh, no such structures were removed in 2023. The number, however, rose modestly to eight in 2024 and 11 in 2025. But, in 2026 alone, 130 monuments were demolished, bringing the total in the state to 149 over the four years, the officials said.

A similar trend has been recorded in Maharashtra, though on a smaller scale. One memorial was demolished in 2023, followed by two in 2024 and seven in 2025. In 2026, authorities removed 45 such structures, taking the total number in the state to 55, they said.

The security forces maintain that these monuments served as tools for ideological outreach. The officials said Naxal outfits used the sites to glorify slain cadres, hold commemorative events and influence local youth in remote and forested regions. By removing these structures, authorities believe they are weakening the psychological and ideological grip of extremist groups on vulnerable communities.

They also indicated that Operation Demolishment is part of a broader strategy aimed at dismantling both the military and ideological backbone of Naxalism. While security forces continue combing operations against active cadres, parallel efforts are underway to curb recruitment and disrupt support networks, they added.

The officials also suggested that similar action might be extended to other affected regions as part of the government’s comprehensive approach to counterinsurgency. With the sharp escalation in 2026, security agencies signaled that the campaign against Naxalism has now been targeting not just armed activity on the ground but also the symbols that sustain its narrative.

'Nation knows your true form, why strip further?': PM Modi on Congress' shirtless protest at AI summit

Iranian students stage anti-government protests amid US military threat

Ajit Pawar plane crash: preliminary report likely by February 28, says civil aviation MoS

IUML slams SFI beef fest against ‘Kerala Story 2’, calls it provocative gimmick

Eight arrested in alleged Delhi terror conspiracy; Bangladeshi nationals among suspects

SCROLL FOR NEXT