Chile's team stand during the playing of the national anthem before a Copa America match against Paraguay. (Photo | AP) 
Football

Copa America coronavirus cases rise to 166

CONMEBOL said 22,856 tests had been taken with people related to the tournament, and 0.7% of the results came back positive. At the beginning of the week that figure was at 0.9%.

Associated Press

RIO DE JANEIRO: There were 166 known COVID-19 cases at the Copa America in Brazil, CONMEBOL said on Friday.

The figures included all tests up to Monday, the same day the soccer body said 140 people had been infected in connection with the tournament.

CONMEBOL said 22,856 tests had been taken with people related to the tournament, and 0.7% of the results came back positive. At the beginning of the week that figure was at 0.9%.

CONMEBOL works with Brazil's health ministry to track cases. More than 510,000 known people have died due to the coronavirus.

The statement also said most of the positive cases were of outsourced workers who were yet to be vaccinated. CONMEBOL said it has no control over why those people didn't get their shots.

Seventeen players have tested positive since the tournament began, and 15 of them were available to their national team after time in isolation, CONMEBOL said.

All hype & no competition: India beat Pakistan, seal Super 8s berth in style

LS Speaker Om Birla to represent India at Tarique Rahman's oath ceremony in Bangladesh

INTERVIEW | Budget shunned short-term populism, reflects yearning to be developed nation: PM Modi

Amid rising crime in BJP-ruled Uttarakhand, Congress condemns 'hooliganism in Hanuman's name'

Mani Shankar Aiyar says Pinarayi Vijayan will continue as Kerala CM; Congress distances itself from remarks

SCROLL FOR NEXT