Retired IAS officer U Sagayam (File photo | EPS)
Tamil Nadu

Sagayam will get security to depose in court, says DGP Shankar Jiwal

An official release issued by Jiwal’s office said Sagayam’s security was withdrawn based on a security committee review held on March 20, 2023.

Express News Service

CHENNAI: The Director General of Police/Head of Police Force Shankar Jiwal on Saturday assured retired IAS officer U Sagayam will be given adequate security to enable him to testify before court without fear.

This comes after Sagayam, a former legal commissioner appointed by Madras High Court, had refused to appear before the special court for Mines and Minerals in Madurai, citing a threat to his life and withdrawal of security provided by the state government.

An official release issued by Jiwal’s office said Sagayam’s security was withdrawn based on a security committee review held on March 20, 2023. This was because he was not facing any specific threat. However, Sagayam had given a representation to the Chennai Police commissioner on May 30 and in August and October in the same year to the chief secretary requesting security.

However, the government told him the security had been withdrawn as there was no specific threat against him.

Trump says he's called off Iran strike planned for Tuesday at request of Gulf allies

Twisha Sharma death case: Bhopal Police announce Rs 10,000 reward for info on absconding husband

US Justice Department drops all charges against Adani, case closed permanently

Bengal govt to end aid for religion-based groups; 'Annapurna' scheme, free bus travel to benefit women

Sunetra Pawar likely to initiate NCP merger talks amid speculation over party reunification

SCROLL FOR NEXT