Emergency personnel and local people work at the site of a landslide in southwestern China. (File photo | AP) 
World

Landslide in southwest China leaves 24 dead: Sources

A flash flood triggered by heavy rains today hit a village in China's southwest Sichuan province, killing 24 people, authorities said.

From our online archive

BEIJING: A flash flood triggered by heavy rains today hit a village in China's southwest Sichuan province, killing 24 people, authorities said.     

Four persons were injured and another was missing in the flood which struck at around 6 AM (local time) in Puge county's Gengdi village in Liangshan Yi autonomous prefecture, state-run Xinhua news agency quoted an official as saying.     

Heavy rains also caused a landslide in the village.     

So far, the flood has affected 577 people of 157 households and destroyed 71 houses. Several roads and bridges were also damaged. More than 1,000 people were dispatched to search for the missing people.   

Relief goods including tents, quilts and clothes have been sent for the affected residents.

Rubio meets PM Modi in Delhi, calls India ‘cornerstone’ of Indo-Pacific strategy, shares White House invite

SC takes suo motu cognisance of Twisha Sharma dowry death case, hearing on Monday

Iran and US are close to an understanding aimed at ending the war, officials say

War as profitable politics and elusive peace

Giorgia Meloni and 'Parishram hi safalta'

SCROLL FOR NEXT