Rescuers search for survivors at a buried houses following a landslide in Nayong county in southwest China's Guizhou province, Monday, Aug. 28, 2017. The landslide buried dozens of homes in southern China, killed several and leaving dozens missing, the lo 
World

Two dead, 25 missing in China landslide

Rescuers pulled six people out of the rubble, including the two who died, in a township in Bijie city in Guizhou province.

From our online archive

BEIJING: A landslide struck some 34 homes in southwest China on Monday, killing two people and leaving another 25 missing in the latest natural disaster to hit the country, according to the local government.

Rescuers pulled six people out of the rubble, including the two who died, in a township in Bijie city in Guizhou province, authorities said in a statement on their website.

A search is continuing and local authorities sent tents, quilts and camp beds to the site, it said.

Video posted on the Twitter account of the official People's Daily showed the side of a hill collapsing, with dirt rushing across the outskirts of the town as onlookers shouted in fright.

Another video showed people standing on top of massive boulders.

National authorities have issued a grade-IV emergency response for Bijie, the lowest in a four-tier alert system.

The designation mandates daily damage reports and the allocation of money and relief materials within 48 hours.

Landslides are a frequent danger in rural and mountainous parts of China, particularly after heavy rain.

In June and August massive landslides in the southwestern province of Sichuan killed more than 30 and left scores missing.

In July 63 people were killed by landslides and floods in the central province of Hunan. Some 1.6 million people were forced from their homes.

Last week powerful Typhoon Hato killed 18 people as it tore across southern China, including Hong Kong and Macau.

SC takes suo motu cognisance of Twisha Sharma dowry death case, hearing on Monday

Rubio meets PM Modi in Delhi, calls India ‘cornerstone’ of Indo-Pacific strategy, shares White House invite

Iran and US are close to an understanding aimed at ending the war, officials say

WFI policy 'exclusionary': Delhi HC lets Vinesh Phogat appear for Asian Games selections trials

Cockroach Janta Party surge shows public distress: Prashant Kishor

SCROLL FOR NEXT