German foreign minister Heiko Maas (File photo| AFP) 
World

Will hold talks with France, US and UK on troops in Afghanistan: German foreign ministry

The so-called 'Quad' meeting will follow broader talks between defence and foreign ministers of the transatlantic NATO alliance.

AFP

BERLIN: The foreign ministers of the US, Britain, France and Germany will hold talks on Wednesday on Afghanistan, after the United States announced the withdrawal of all its troops from the country by September 11.

"The main focus of the talks is Afghanistan. Other issues to be addressed are current developments at the Ukrainian-Russian border and the nuclear agreement with Iran," the German foreign ministry said in a statement.

The so-called "Quad" meeting will follow broader talks between defence and foreign ministers of the transatlantic NATO alliance.

US President Joe Biden will formally announce Wednesday the withdrawal of all US troops from Afghanistan before this year's 20th anniversary of the September 11 attacks, ending America's longest war despite mounting fears of a Taliban victory, officials said.

Earlier on Wednesday, German Defence Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer said given the US timetable, this meant that a withdrawal by NATO was likely in September. "We always said: we'll go in together, we'll leave together. I am for an orderly withdrawal and that is why I assume that we (NATO) will agree to that today," she told ARD public television.

G20-grade cyber shield activated amid intelligence inputs of attacks targeting India AI Impact Summit

Modi, Macron inaugurate India’s first private helicopter assembly line in major aerospace push

Iran FM says agreed with US 'on guiding principles' for deal

CM Mamata slams ECI over alleged differences in guidelines for SIR in Bihar and Bengal

India discussing age-based restrictions with social media platforms: IT minister

SCROLL FOR NEXT