The relative of a fisherman, who died at sea during Ockhi, laments at his residence at Valiyathura in Thiruvananthapuram on Saturday. | Kaviyoor Santhosh 
India

Cyclone Ockhi won't be termed national disaster

On Saturday, the Kerala government decided to approach the Centre for declaring Ockhi a national disaster.

From our online archive

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Cyclone Ockhi, which has caused widespread damage in Kerala's Thiruvananthapuram and Kollam districts, will not be termed a national disaster, Minister of State for Tourism K.J. Alphons said on Sunday.

On Saturday, the Kerala government decided to approach the Centre for declaring Ockhi a national disaster.

"There is no provision to declare this as a national calamity. The Centre will provide funds. If needed, more funds will be allocated," Alphons said here.

Alphons held a meeting with Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan and other cabinet colleagues earlier in the day to discuss the rescue and rehabilitation operations.

The cyclone has claimed the lives of 10 people while 115 were still reported missing. 

According to Vijayan, 395 fishermen were saved in a biggest-ever joint rescue operation. The total number of rescued fishermen so far is 475.

"This was possible only perfect coordination between various rescue agencies," the Chief Minister said.

Twisha Sharma death case: Bhopal Police announce Rs 10,000 reward for info on absconding husband

India to continue Russian oil imports regardless of US sanctions waiver status, says official

US Justice Department drops all charges against Adani, case closed permanently

Bengal govt to end aid for religion-based groups; 'Annapurna' scheme, free bus travel to benefit women

Sunetra Pawar likely to initiate NCP merger talks amid speculation over party reunification

SCROLL FOR NEXT