For representational purpose 
India

Calcutta high court hints at CBI probe in narada sting case

‘Any offence found to have been committed would result in formal criminal investigation’

From our online archive

KOLKATA: The New Year seems to have started off on a bad note for Trinamool Congress ministers accused in various scams. After the arrest of the party’s Lok Sabha leader Sudip Bandopadhyay for his alleged involvement in the `15,000 crore Rose Valley scam, the Calcutta High Court on Friday, while hearing the Narada sting case in which several top Trinamool ministers were caught on hidden camera accepting money, called for an investigation by Central agencies into the case.


A Division Bench comprising acting Chief Justice Nishita Mhatre and Justice T Chakraborty said if any offence was found to have been committed in the preliminary inquiry, then a formal criminal investigation could be initiated. “The evidence available in the Narada sting case calls for a thorough investigation into the case,” said the acting Chief Justice, adding that the investigation should not be carried out by State police authorities and called for an investigation by independent Central authorities, hinting that the case may be referred to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).


Sources revealed that when Advocate General Jayanta Mitra said there was no evidence that the individuals accepting the money had in fact demanded it, the acting chief justice said the case of acceptance of bribe was also not proved in the defence deal corruption case involving former BJP president Bangaru Laxman, but still the case was investigated, he was tried and awarded jail term.
Claiming that the court has no jurisdiction to pass such an order, Jayanta Mitra submitted that the recordings had been made public in 2016, two years after the videotapes were made in 2014 showing TMC leaders purportedly accepting money.


The Narada sting case by a Kerala-based media outlet, showing several top Trinamool ministers accepting bribe, had sent shockwaves in the party camp just before the 2016 Assembly elections. However, the party sailed through it and second-time Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee ordered a probe into the case on June 17 last year. The authenticity of the sting videotapes was ascertained by the Central Forensic Science Laboratory, Chandigarh, in August.

22 Indian seafarers reportedly safe after two vessels hijacked off Somalia, Gulf of Aden, says centre

Centre asks states to step up surveillance as H1N1 cases surge in Delhi, adjoining areas

Delhi Police files FIR over youth's pellet injuries from July 20 protest after Rahul Gandhi's dharna

Several detained as anti-reservation protesters gather at Jantar Mantar despite no police nod

JMM workers clash with protesting students in Ranchi, flee with Hemant Soren’s effigy

SCROLL FOR NEXT