People listen to Chief Minister Hemant Soren's briefing after cabinet decided to cancel Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level examination, in Ranchi, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. PTI
India

Jharkhand government accepts students' demands, cancels JSSC-CGL and all exams conducted by TDPL

Jharkhand CM orders probe into recruitment exam irregularities since 2014, announces panel for exam reforms

TNIE online desk

Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren on Monday announced the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and all activities associated with TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL), including examinations conducted by the company, published results and selections, amid a 24-day-long student protest over alleged irregularities in recruitment exams.

The government had earlier announced the cancellation of the 14th JPSC examination and two backlog examinations.

Addressing the media at Jaipal Singh Stadium, Soren said the state Cabinet had decided to cancel the JSSC-CGL examination, a key demand of the protesting students.

"We have decided to cancel everything associated with TDPL—including the examinations conducted, the results published, the candidates selected or who participated, and all other activities carried out by TDPL," Soren said.

The Chief Minister also ordered a comprehensive inquiry into irregularities in all recruitment examinations conducted from 2014 to the present.

"A comprehensive inquiry will be conducted into all errors—minor or major—that have occurred since 2014. We will also soon convene to discuss the amendments made to the MMDR Act by the Central Government; if necessary, we may even call a special session to deliberate on this specific issue," he said.

Soren said investigations by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) and the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) had brought to light "several shocking facts".

"Since the investigation is ongoing, it is not possible to disclose every detail openly; however, it has been observed that individuals appointed through the CGL process are now being arrested on charges related to irregularities in the JPSC examinations. Furthermore, there appears to be a complex, interconnected network involving various companies that have operated here at different times," he said.

He said the government had directed the concerned department and the CID to conduct a thorough investigation covering examinations held from 2014 onwards.

Student leader Devendra Nath Mahato welcomed the government's decision and thanked Soren, the state administration, police, media, students and parents for supporting the movement.

Mahato said the students would cooperate with the ongoing investigation and efforts to clean up the recruitment examination system, but stressed that they wanted structural reforms to prevent paper leaks and other irregularities in the future.

"We, the students, will continue to support this investigation and the effort to eradicate this corrupt system at its very roots, and we will persist in our struggle regarding the ongoing reform process," Mahato said.

However, the protesting students said not all their demands had been fulfilled, with their demand for a CBI inquiry into the alleged examination irregularities still unresolved. They also said no decision had been taken on the 11th to 13th JPSC examinations.

He said the students were awaiting an official notification before deciding their next course of action.

"If our issues are resolved and our demands met, why would we need to hold further protests?" he said, while seeking a system that would guarantee against paper leaks and examination irregularities in the future.

Mahato said the students were not yet "fully satisfied" despite the government accepting their demands, as they wanted broader reforms across the examination system.

"While our demands have been met, we cannot say we are fully satisfied yet, as a long battle still lies ahead," he said.

JPSC-JSSC Reform Manch leader Piyush Kumar Singh said the agitation would continue until the remaining demands were addressed. "No decision has been taken on 11th to 13th JPSC and our demand for CBI inquiry still remains unfulfilled, therefore, our agitation will continue till it is not fulfilled," Singh said.

Meanwhile, the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination has also left candidates who were selected through the process facing uncertainty. Some successful candidates said they would challenge the government's decision in court. A successful candidate said the appointments had been made following a High Court division bench ruling and that the Supreme Court had also upheld the process.

"We were appointed following a High Court division bench ruling. We had the Supreme Court's seal of approval, yet suddenly, we became unemployed. We are upset with the Chief Minister. Sir, please reconsider this decision. What about the honourable court's stance? What will happen to the hundreds of our brothers who resigned from previous jobs to join this one?" the candidate said. The candidates said they would approach the court again, pointing out that they had secured their appointments following judicial intervention.

Chief Minister Soren said the government would ensure transparency in examination-related reforms and address concerns raised by students.

"I do not consider these young people to be different groups. They are all concerned about their future. The government will move ahead with complete transparency on reforms," he said.

The Chief Minister said an existing standard operating procedure (SOP) for conducting examinations should have prevented the irregularities had it been properly followed. He added that further improvements would be made based on suggestions received from stakeholders.

The government has also decided to constitute a committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal to frame rules and procedures for conducting recruitment examinations in a manner that prevents irregularities. A portal has also been opened for students, teachers and parents to submit suggestions on examination reforms, which will subsequently be shared with experts, Soren said.

The student agitation in Ranchi, centered on alleged irregularities in examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC), entered its 24th day on Monday.

The protesters have been demanding reforms in the examination system, action against those responsible for alleged irregularities and measures to prevent paper leaks and malpractice in future recruitment examinations.

With the government now accepting the demand for cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and announcing a wider probe into examinations since 2014, the students are expected to decide their next course of action after reviewing the government's formal orders. However, the demand for a CBI inquiry and a decision on the 11th to 13th JPSC examinations remain unresolved, raising the possibility that the agitation could continue.

(With inputs from Mukesh Ranjan and ANI)

Devendra Nath Mahato ends hunger strike after Jharkhand cancels JSSC-CGL exam

BJP unveils new team: Vasundhara Raje, Ram Madhav named vice presidents; BL Santhosh, Smriti Irani in key roles

Explained: Why Odisha's DGP selection has reached the Supreme Court

Who is Deepak Mhaskey, BJP's new IT cell chief replacing Amit Malviya after 11 years?

Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament

SCROLL FOR NEXT