ITBP and other agencies cut the loose ends of pipes and wires inside the Tapovan Tunnel. (File Photo | PTI) 
Nation

Uttarakhand glacial burst: Recovery of two more bodies takes death toll to 72

DNA samples of 110 family members of missing people, 58 bodies and 28 human body parts have been sent to Forensic Science Laboratory in Dehradun for matching.

ANI

CHAMOLI: The death toll in the Uttarakhand glacier burst incident has reached 72 as two more bodies and 30 parts of human bodies were recovered from the debris, according to the state government on Saturday.

"So far, 72 bodies and 30 human body parts have been recovered from different places in the avalanche hit areas out of which 40 bodies and one human body part have been identified," said Chamoli district police.

DNA samples of bodies which have not been identified are being preserved.

Missing reports of 205 persons have been registered at Joshimath police station so far.

DNA samples of 110 family members of missing people, 58 bodies and 28 human body parts have been sent to Forensic Science Laboratory in Dehradun for matching, it said.

Meanwhile, the rescue and search operation for missing people is underway. The Indo-Tibetan Border Police personnel along with National Disaster Response Force and other sister agencies have been conducting search and rescue operations in Chamoli district.

A glacier burst earlier in the Tapovan-Reni area of Chamoli District of Uttarakhand triggered massive flooding in the Dhauliganga and Alaknanda rivers that damaged houses and the nearby Rishiganga power project. 

Maharashtra government scraps 5% Muslim quota in jobs, education; Opposition terms move ‘anti-minority’

CM Stalin tables high-level panel report on Union-State relations: How it makes the case for stronger states

Galgotias University apologises for 'confusion' at AI summit, says representative at stall ill-informed

T20 World Cup: Abhishek falls for third successive duck after India elect to bat against Netherlands

Ajit Pawar plane crash case: Rohit bolsters sabotage claim, presents supporting documents

SCROLL FOR NEXT