The board of New Zealand Cricketapologized to Ross Taylor on Wednesday for the way in which he was fired asnational captain, but ruled out his reinstatement.
Chairman Chris Moller made the apology at a news conferencein Wellington, breaking his silence on an issue which has left Taylorembittered and has alienated New Zealand fans.
Moller said the NZC board met for five hours on Monday withhead coach Mike Hesson who is widely seen to have bungled the firing of Taylorand the appointment of Brendon McCullum as his replacement.
Taylor has refused to make himself available for NewZealand's forthcoming tour to South Africa, depriving the team of its bestbatsman as it prepares to face the world's No. 1 test side.
Moller apologized to Taylor and his family for the way inwhich his firing had been handled and for the media storm that followed.
But he said the board, which unanimously endorsed Taylor'sappointment as national captain after the resignation of Daniel Vettori, nowsupported his successor, McCullum.
"The board remains of the view that it took the correctdecision to support the captaincy change as recommended by the CEO and by thecoach," Moller said.
"The board fully understands Ross Taylor's reasons fornot going to South Africa and sincerely hopes that as are current best batsman,Ross will be available for the English tour (of New Zealand) this summer."
Taylor has given a number of media interviews since hisfiring last week in which he has questioned Hesson's and New Zealand Cricket'sversion of his dismissal.
Hesson says Taylor was asked during New Zealand's tour toSri Lanka last month to remain as test captain but to concede the captaincy ofthe one-day and Twenty20 teams to McCullum.
Taylor said he was not offered the test captaincy and Hessonhad made it clear he was to be replaced in all forms of the game.
"He said I wasn't a good enough leader, that this teamneeds a strong leader and that I wasn't a strong leader," Taylor said."If I wasn't a strong leader why would he give me the testcaptaincy?"
Meanwhile, McCullum says his personal relationship withTaylor remains strong.
"I have spoken to him. Private conversations, but Ihave spoken to him," McCullum said. "Obviously he needs a bit ofspace at the moment. My thoughts and the team's thoughts are with him."