Delhi Municipal Corporation workers dismantle an illegal roadside shop during an anti-encroachment drive in New Delhi. (Photo | AP) 
Delhi

Anti-encroachment drive in Delhi's Mangolpuri cancelled due to unavailability of police force

Last month, the South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) had to cancel its demolition drive in Jasola-Sarita Vihar due to the same reason.

PTI

NEW DELHI: An anti-encroachment drive scheduled to take place in northwest Delhi's Mangolpuri area was cancelled on Friday due to unavailability of adequate police force, civic authorities said.

According to an official of the North Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC), the drive to remove temporary and permanent encroachment from roads and government land was scheduled in Mangolpuri's Katran Market area.

"The anti-encroachment drive was scheduled in surrounding areas of Katran Market in Mangolpuri on Friday but it was cancelled due to unavailability of adequate police force," the official told PTI.

The unavailability of adequate police force had also led to the cancellation of the anti-encroachment drives at Sultanpuri's Fish Market and Jagdamba Market on Wednesday and Thursday, NDMC said.

Last month, the South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) had to cancel its demolition drive in Jasola-Sarita Vihar due to the same reason.

A series of anti-encroachment drives have been conducted by the three civic bodies in different parts of the city in the last one month, including Shaheen Bagh, Jahangirpuri, Madanpur Khadar, New Friends Colony, Mangolpuri, Rohini, Gokulpuri, Lodhi Colony, Janakpuri among others.

The NDMC had come under fire last month from several civil rights groups and opposition parties after it bulldozed structures in violence-hit Jahangirpuri area during an anti-encroachment drive.

The drive was stopped after the intervention of the Supreme Court.

Iran says US wants to 'start new war' after Trump threat

Xi and Putin oppose US-Israel war on Iran, warn Strait of Hormuz disruption poses threat to global trade

Congress ends 59-year wait, to join Vijay-led TN Cabinet on Thursday

Bhopal court rejects second autopsy plea in Twisha Sharma death case

25 states allocate funds as Centre prepares to launch VB-G RAM G from July 1

SCROLL FOR NEXT