Kiran Bedi. (File photo: PTI) 
Tamil Nadu

Lt Governor Kiran Bedi says she is for development of Puducherry

Lt Governor Kiran Bedi today brushed aside the criticisms and allegations against her by government that she is `blocking developmental projects`.

From our online archive

PUDUCHERRY: Lt Governor Kiran Bedi today brushed aside the criticisms and allegations against her by government that she is `blocking developmental projects'.

In her whatsapp message sent to the media, in the wake of the criticisms over the last one week by the Narayanasamy led ministry that she was blocking several projects, including the one relating to development of port here, the former IPS officer said "as an administrator of Puducherry, I am for development of Union Territory."

"I am not against development. The development should (however) be in due process respecting the law of the land and abiding by the statutes".

She also maintained that people should be heard.

It was the duty of the government to decide and implement (projects) and take responsibility for the consequences-kudos or brickbats", she said.

Kiran Bedi, who had been at loggerheads with the Chief Minister and some of his colleagues on various issues concerning Puducherry, said "We have done a SWOT (Strength, WEknesses, Opportunities and Threats) survey of all departments to find out what we can do better".

She said that in the port development project the SWOT was projected by the Port Department last year. It had not changed since.

Bedi who was adhering to her stand for transparency in the functioning of the government, also said "t is the duty of the government to address people`s concerns and then take a decision. It is their life and it changes for ever with right or wrong decisions."

The Chief Minister had alleged recently that Bedi had been blocking the project for development of port being implemented as a satellite port of Chennai Port Trust and had been making allegations against the government on several other projects.

Hours after resigning from Congress, Bhupen Borah says 'reconsidering decision'

Seven dead in fire at Chemical factory in Rajasthan’s Bhiwadi; trapped workers rescued

Tarique Rahman to take oath as Bangladesh's new PM on February 17

J&K Lt Governor orders reopening of 14 tourist spots after Pahalgam terror attack

Amid backlash, Nainar Nagenthran expresses regret over comments on actor Trisha

SCROLL FOR NEXT