Image used for representational purposes only. (File photo | EPS)
Telangana

Telangana invites private players to redevelop 11 historic forts

The development plan envisages ecotourism, cultural and hospitality components while retaining the historical and architectural character of the forts.

S Bachan Jeet Singh

HYDERABAD: The state government has proposed redeveloping 11 historic forts under the PPP model, with private players invited to conceptualise, develop, operate and maintain the heritage sites while ensuring community participation and revenue sharing.

The Tourism department has invited private sector participation through an Expression of Interest (EoI) for the selected forts. The successful partner will undertake their end-to-end development and management, with a focus on heritage-compatible, experience-led tourism and adaptive reuse of the sites.

The proposed forts are Bhongir, Devarakonda, Rachakonda, Medak, Khammam, Kaulas in Jukkal mandal, Zaffargadh in Warangal, Elgandal on the Karimnagar-Sircilla corridor, Ramagiri, Utnoor in Adilabad district and Sarvayi Papanna Fort at Khila Shapur village near Raghunathpally.

The development plan envisages ecotourism, cultural and hospitality components while retaining the historical and architectural character of the forts. The government said the projects would also create local employment and enterprises and incorporate regional arts, crafts and cultural practices into the visitor experience.

Under the proposed benefit-sharing mechanism, a pre-defined share of revenue will be paid to the state and reinvested in the conservation, restoration and long-term preservation of the heritage assets.

The state plans to select reputed and experienced private investors or partners to develop and manage the assets for a defined period, after which the facilities will be transferred back to the government.

The EoI seeks innovative and implementable concepts for conservation, adaptive reuse and sustainable tourism development. Applicants will be shortlisted based on the responses, after which a Request for Proposal (RFP) will be issued with eligibility criteria, terms and conditions and other details.

Rs 82 lakh scientific conservation planned for 2,500-year-old Egyptian mummy

The state government has proposed spending `82 lakh on the scientific conservation of the 2,500-year-old Egyptian mummy housed at the Dr YSR State Heritage Museum. Tourism Minister Jupally Krishna Rao visited the museum at Public Gardens on Wednesday and inspected its bronze, Buddhist, sculpture, cannons and painting galleries.

He reviewed the condition of the exhibits and sought details from officials about the museum’s artefacts and infrastructure. The minister directed officials to take all necessary measures for the safe and scientific conservation of the Egyptian mummy.

Officials said German experts had submitted a report on the mummy and proposals had been prepared for its conservation at an estimated cost of `82 lakh. Krishna Rao said the museum’s collection of archaeological, historical and cultural artefacts should be promoted more widely and directed officials to prepare special plans to attract domestic and international tourists. He also directed the Archaeology department to prepare comprehensive estimates for reconstruction and restoration of the museum, building conservation and painting works.

Director of Archaeology Dr Arjun Rao was asked to submit the estimates within a week. The minister said funds required for the restoration would be released expeditiously and directed officials to ensure that the works were taken up without delay.

PM Modi asks secretaries to break departmental silos, adopt long-term approach to governance

Southern states back Shah's call for dialogue on water disputes as delimitation concerns dominate zonal meet

Jadavpur University unrest spills onto streets as ABVP, Left students clash with police

Uttarakhand’s Himalayan vulnerability

Five-year-old dies at school after teacher allegedly slaps him over homework in Visakhapatnam

SCROLL FOR NEXT