File Photo. 
World

Syrian government accused of third chemical attack

The use of chlorine as a weapon is prohibited under the 1997 Chemical Weapons Convention, which Syria joined in 2013.

From our online archive

LONDON:  A third toxic gas attack was carried out by the Syrian government forces in the north-western Idlib region in March last year, a UN report issued late Friday revealed.

According to the report - the fourth from the 13-month-long inquiry by the UN and the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons - investigators found that helicopters flying from military bases dropped barrel bombs containing chlorine gas, a prohibited weapon, the BBC reported.

It said that the helicopter flights could have originated from two bases where the 253 and 255 squadrons, part of the 63rd helicopter brigade, were based.

But the inquiry said that it "could not confirm the names of the individuals who had command and control of the helicopter squadrons at the time."

It added that those "with effective control in the military units... must be held accountable".

The report also accused the government forces of carrying out the toxic gas attack in Qmenas in Idlib governorate on March 16, 2015.

The use of chlorine as a weapon is prohibited under the 1997 Chemical Weapons Convention, which Syria joined in 2013.

All hype & no competition: India beat Pakistan, seal Super 8s berth in style

LS Speaker Om Birla to represent India at Tarique Rahman's oath ceremony in Bangladesh

INTERVIEW | Budget shunned short-term populism, reflects yearning to be developed nation: PM Modi

Amid rising crime in BJP-ruled Uttarakhand, Congress condemns 'hooliganism in Hanuman's name'

Mani Shankar Aiyar says Pinarayi Vijayan will continue as Kerala CM; Congress distances itself from remarks

SCROLL FOR NEXT