World

Yemen official's son killed in suspected Qaeda attack

More than 7,700 people have been killed and 40,000 wounded in the conflict, according to the United Nations.

From our online archive

SANAA: One person was killed and three others wounded in an attack apparently targeting a Yemeni official's car on Thursday, a security source said. 

The eldest son of deputy interior minister Ali Nasser Lakhsheh was killed when a rocket-propelled grenade hit the family's car in the southern Abyan province, the official said.

His wife, another son and a daughter were wounded. It was unclear if the deputy minister himself was in the vehicle at the time of the attack.

The official said Al-Qaeda militants were behind the attack which was carried out when the family was en route from Aden, where the government of President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi is currently based.

Abyan has been the site of attacks by Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) in recent weeks. Five soldiers were killed by suspected militants there earlier this month.

Abyan has also been the target of a string of US air raids targeting AQAP, which Washington regards as the radical group’s most dangerous branch.

AQAP has exploited a power vacuum created by the war between the Hadi government and Huthi rebels who control the capital Sanaa and number of major cities along the Red Sea coast.

More than 7,700 people have been killed and 40,000 wounded in the conflict, according to the United Nations.

Jharkhand government accepts students' demands, cancels JSSC-CGL and all exams conducted by TDPL

BJP unveils new team: Vasundhara Raje, Ram Madhav named vice presidents; BL Santhosh, Smriti Irani in key roles

Explained: Why Odisha's DGP selection has reached the Supreme Court

Who is Deepak Mhaskey, BJP's new IT cell chief replacing Amit Malviya after 11 years?

Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament

SCROLL FOR NEXT