For representational purposes 
World

Eight soldiers killed in suicide bombing in Afghanistan, Taliban claims responsibility

The ministry said that 9 other soldiers were wounded in the attack. They said that the attack had targeted a convoy of army forces in Sayed Abad district, a volatile region west of Kabul.

From our online archive

KABUL: A suicide bomber detonated an explosives-packed truck near an Afghan military convoy on Monday, killing eight soldiers, the defence ministry said, in the latest attack claimed by the Taliban.

The attack, which took place in Sayed Abad district of Wardak province near the capital Kabul, also wounded nine soldiers, the ministry said in a statement.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the blast, saying the assailant had targeted a convoy of Afghan commandos.

In recent months, the Taliban have carried out near-daily attacks against Afghan forces despite agreeing to talks with Kabul aimed at ending the two-decade-long conflict.

Last week, the Taliban claimed a suicide attack on a rural office of Afghanistan's spy agency which killed 11 security personnel and wounded dozens of people.

In the July 13 attack, the bomber detonated a device inside a car near the office of the National Directorate of Security (NDS) in the northern city of Aybak.

Gunmen then stormed the building and clashed with security forces for hours before they were shot dead.

The Taliban and the Afghan government are currently involved in a prisoner exchange, after which peace talks are expected to begin.

Washington has pushed for the negotiations after entering into a landmark deal with the Taliban in February, which paves the way for pulling out all foreign forces from Afghanistan by May next year

Eight arrested in alleged Delhi terror conspiracy; Bangladeshi nationals among suspects

'Nation knows your true form, why strip further?': PM Modi on Congress' shirtless protest at AI summit

Two Punjab police personnel found shot dead at checkpoint near Indo-Pak border

US Secret Service shot and killed armed man who entered Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort

'You work at massage parlours as sex workers...'? Three northeastern women face racial abuse in Delhi, FIR registered

SCROLL FOR NEXT