Locusts swarm above a mango tree orchard. (Photo| AP) 
World

Pakistan locust situation worsens as swarms enter via Afghanistan

Minister for National Food Security and Research Syed Fakhr Imam said the government was keeping a vigil on the movement of swarms of desert locusts.

From our online archive

ISLAMABAD: The desert locust situation in Pakistan was fast deteriorating and swarms have found a new corridor from Afghan­istan to attack agricultural fields in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, it was reported on Friday.

Crop loss have been reported in several areas of Khyber Pakht­unk­h­wa, particularly in Dera Ismail Khan district, from where these loc­ust swarms were entering Punjab thereby posing a serious threat to the food basket of the country, said the Dawn news report.

Winding up the debate on locu­sts in the National Assembly on Thursday, Minister for National Food Security and Research Syed Fakhr Imam said the government was keeping a vigil on the movement of swarms of desert locusts entering Pakistan from four countries: Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea and Djibouti via Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Iran.

ALSO READ | 6,397 new cases: Pakistan records highest single day spike of COVID-19 infections

He said that new swarms of des­ert locusts would enter Baloc­histan from Iran over the next two weeks, adding that the province was already the worst-hit with its 33 districts already invaded by insects.

In Balochistan, he said, ground operation against locusts had been carried out over 85,000 hectares by ground teams and aerial sprays had been carried out over 500 hectares.

The Minister added that the federal government was in close coordination with the Food and Agri­­c­ulture Organisation (FAO) which was keeping Pakistan informed on a daily basis on the movement of locust swarms in the region.

Twisha Sharma death case: Bhopal Police announce Rs 10,000 reward for info on absconding husband

India to continue Russian oil imports regardless of US sanctions waiver status, says official

US Justice Department drops all charges against Adani, case closed permanently

Bengal govt to end aid for religion-based groups; 'Annapurna' scheme, free bus travel to benefit women

Sunetra Pawar likely to initiate NCP merger talks amid speculation over party reunification

SCROLL FOR NEXT