US President Donald Trump (Photo| AP) 
World

US threatens permanent funding freeze, membership withdrawal from WHO with 30-day ultimatum

Trump had temporarily suspended US' contribution to the WHO last month, accusing it of promoting China's "disinformation" about the coronavirus outbreak.

From our online archive

WASHINGTON D.C.: US President Donald Trump has threatened to permanently halt funding for the World Health Organisation (WHO) if it did not commit to improvements within 30 days, and to reconsider the membership of the United States in the global health body.

On Monday, Trump wrote a letter to WHO Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus that read, "If WHO doesn't commit to major substantive improvements within the next 30 days, I will make my temporary freeze of US funding to WHO permanent and reconsider our membership in the organisation."

READ THE LETTER HERE

Trump had temporarily suspended US' contribution to the WHO last month, accusing it of promoting China's "disinformation" about the coronavirus outbreak, although WHO officials denied the accusation and Beijing said that it was transparent and open.

"The only way forward for the WHO is if it can actually demonstrate independence from China. My administration has already started discussions with you on how to reform the organisation. But action is needed quickly. We do not have time to waste," Trump said in the letter.

"I cannot allow American taxpayer dollars to continue to finance an organisation that, in its present state, is so clearly not serving America's interests," he added.

On Monday, the WHO said that an independent review of the global coronavirus response would begin at the earliest and it received backing from China, where the virus was first discovered.

India to continue Russian oil imports regardless of US sanctions waiver status, says official

Bengal govt to end aid for religion-based groups; 'Annapurna' scheme, free bus travel to benefit women

Indian markets resilient enough to absorb West Asia conflict shocks, says Sebi chief

Newly formed Kerala Cabinet clears free KSRTC travel for women, ASHA pay hike

Delhi HC grants interim bail to Engineer Rashid for father’s funeral

SCROLL FOR NEXT