Image used for representational purposes only. (File Photo | Express)
World

Landslide at landfill in Guinea's capital kills at least 30 people, officials say

Authorities said heavy rains, which started at around 2 am washed over the refuse at Dar Es Salam, triggering a landslide that buried nearby shacks.

Associated Press

CONAKRY: A mountainous heap of refuse collapsed at the largest landfill in Guinea's capital Conakry early Sunday killing 30 people, according to an updated toll released by the central government.

Authorities said heavy rains, which started at around 2 am washed over the refuse at Dar Es Salam, triggering a landslide that buried nearby shacks. A search and rescue operation was underway to find survivors. Six people were seriously injured and several homes were destroyed.

The site, an open-air waste dump, which is the largest in the city, had been designated for closure on Sunday, according to Lt. Col. Baldé Mamadou Bailo, the sanitation officer for the military engineering battalion.

Locals living around the landfill had been given eviction notices, which forced many to vacate the area, but many were still around at the time of the disaster, according to authorities.

"We will ensure that the remaining families are relocated elsewhere,” said Dienabou Touré, the minister of territorial administration and decentralisation, at the scene.

JeM's base in Pakistan's Bahawalpur rebuilt 15 months after Operation Sindoor: Intel inputs

Five-year-old girl mauled by stray dog in Kota; CCTV captures horrifying attack

'24 districts, 24 resolutions, one voice': Jharkhand student leader Mahto to begin recruitment reform campaign

CJP to review Centre's assurances against exam irregularities on August 24, says options for fresh stir still open

After Rahul's Pune outreach, Smriti Irani dares him to back 33% women’s quota, sing full Vande Mataram

SCROLL FOR NEXT