Rescue gets longer for 18 men at sea - The New Indian Express

Rescue gets longer for 18 men at sea

Published: 13th October 2013 01:11 PM

Last Updated: 13th October 2013 01:11 PM

Odisha Revenue and Disaster Management Minister Surjya Narayan Patro on Saturday said  the 18 fishermen, who went  missing in the sea off the state’s coast, had been located but they were yet to be rescued. According to the minister, they  had been trapped in a rough patch in the sea, some four km off  Paradip,  and that  the Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) had been asked  to make the necessary  arrangements  to ferry oil supplies to the stranded vessel. 

The missing fishermen had, in fact, contacted the Coast Guard but the rescue operation could not be conducted since the sea  was extremely rough. Despite this, the minister said efforts were still under way to rescue the trapped fisherfolk.

And Patro added that  Revenue Divisional Commissioner (Central Division) Arvind Padhee had been asked to coordinate the rescue operation. Also, the owner of the trawler had been arrested. Around  300 personnel  from the Army’s engineering wing  have already reached the state and 10 IAF helicopters and two AN 32 planes kept on standby at the Barrackpore Airbase in  West Bengal. Besides, 29 marine rescue teams and 30 Navy doctors were sent to the state for rescue and relief operation with the Odisha Disaster Rapid Action Force.

comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer: We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the NIE editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.


Read More



follow us Mobile Site iPad News Hunt Android RSS Tumblr Linekin Pinterest Youtube Google Plus Twitter Facebook