2 Women Die in Tiruchy Camphor Unit Blaze - The New Indian Express

2 Women Die in Tiruchy Camphor Unit Blaze

Published: 03rd February 2014 09:40 AM

Last Updated: 03rd February 2014 09:40 AM

Two women died when fire broke out in a camphor factory at Senthurai in Ariyalur district here on Sunday. More than 10 employees were involved in the production of camphor in a factory owned by Baskaran (48), located at Sivan Kovil street at Senthurai in Ariyalur district.

Around 2 pm, Baskaran noticed the camphor catching fire all on a sudden. To escape the blaze, all employees started running towards the exit. However, two women S Amutha(40), and K Latha (30), who were working inside the camphor store room, could not escape and died on the spot.

Three other workers, Vennila (19), Kannagi (19) and Shanthi (30), escaped without injuries.

On information, Senthurai fire and rescue team headed by Gunasekaran, Station Officer, and his team rushed to the spot and brought the blaze under control.

Later, seriously injured Baskaran was taken to the Ariyalur Government Hospital and from there to the Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Government Hospital (MGMGH), Tiruchy, for further treatment.

Police personnel said that an electric short circuit could be the reason for the fire. Senthurai police have registered a case and are investigating. 

Dad Kicks Baby

A five-month-old girl baby sustained injuries when its father kicked her after a quarrel with his wife whose fidelity he had suspected since their marriage, near Srivilliputhur on Saturday.

The baby is undergoing treatment in a hospital, police said. The infant’s father Balasubramani (22) used to suspect his wife Kaliswari (19) of having an extra-marital affair. This led to frequent quarrels between them. They were residents of Venkateshwarapuram and were brick kiln workers. 

On Saturday, Balasubramani came home and picked up a tiff with his wife. After this, an angry Balasubramani went to the room where his daughter was sleeping in a cradle and kicked her.

The head of the baby hit a wall. Kaliswari rushed the girl to the GH, from where she was referred to a private hospital. Balasubramani was later arrested.

Disclaimer: We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the NIE editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.


Recent Activity

Pinterest Google Plus Twitter Facebook tumblr RSS Mobile Site apple Newshunt