Avoid this Deadliest Mushroom that is Spreading Fast! - The New Indian Express

Avoid this Deadliest Mushroom that is Spreading Fast!

Published: 12th February 2014 06:49 PM

Last Updated: 12th February 2014 06:52 PM

Love mushrooms? Then read this news carefully. An otherwise innocuous variety of mushroom has turned toxic, and spreading fast.

Aptly named 'Death Cap', this variety is now on every continent except Antarctica.

This fungus is spreading rapidly across the globe and it looks and smells a lot like a number of edible species of mushroom.

A little amount of 'Death Cap' (Amanita phalloides) can result in death and it can be hard to even diagnose patients properly in time, said a report in the Slate magazine.

The death cap doesn't taste remotely like death - many people who are poisoned claim the mushroom was the most delicious they've ever eaten.

But scientists have now found an antidote to this.

S. Todd Mitchell of Dominican Hospital in Santa Cruz in California and colleagues have treated more than 60 patients who ate this mushroom variety and got sick, with a drug derived from milk thistle.

Every patient who still had intact kidney function and was started on the drug within 96 hours of eating mushrooms has lived.

"The drug has virtually no side effects, it's very well tolerated, and if used correctly, it's awesomely effective,” said the report.

comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer: We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the NIE editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.


Read More



follow us Mobile Site iPad News Hunt Android RSS Tumblr Linekin Pinterest Youtube Google Plus Twitter Facebook